Professional Counselor Licensure in Wyoming

Wyoming has two levels of licensure for counseling professionals. You will become a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) when you have completed all requirements, including education, supervised work experience, and a licensing examination. You will be credentialed as a Provisional Professional Counselor (PPC) while you are fulfilling your supervised practice requirement.

The information here is intended to be a guide to counselor licensure in Wyoming. If at any point on your path you have questions or would like to make sure you are on the correct path contact the Wyoming Mental Health Professions Licensing Board by emailing [email protected] or faxing (307) 777-3508.

You may also want to contact the licensing specialist, Emily Cronbaugh, who can be reached at (307) 777-3628.

Capella University offers three online CACREP - accredited Master's programs: Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy and School Counseling. Click here to contact Capella University and request information about their programs.

Northwestern's Top-12 Ranked CACREP Accredited Online M.A. in Counseling program offers both full and part time options that allow you to earn a degree on your own schedule. GRE scores are not required for this program. Request information.

Select a topic below...

group counseling


Graduate level education is the foundation for licensing as a professional counselor. Generally, you should enroll in a program that has been accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Program (CACREP) or the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE).

The University of Wyoming has CACREP-accredited master's and doctoral level counseling programs.

Antioch University offers a new Online MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program that is in the CACREP accreditation process and mirrors the CACREP-accredited program delivered on campus. Specializations in: Substance Abuse and Addictions Counseling (SAAC) and Counseling Military Service Personnel and their Families (MSPF). Antioch is a private, not-for-profit university. (*This program is NOT available to students in CA, IL, IA, KS, MO, NH, ND)

Other programs may be acceptable if they meet similar standards. Your program should be housed in a school that holds institutional level accreditation through some agency that is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Transcripts and other course materials should indicate that your coursework was designed as preparation for professional counseling. Instructors should have qualifications on a par with those who teach at CACREP-accredited institutions (Read this to learn more:

You will need a total of at least 48 semester hours or 72 quarter hours of coursework. You must have courses that develop each of the following competency areas:

  • Human growth and development
  • Social and cultural diversity
  • Helping relationships
  • Group work
  • Career development
  • Assessment
  • Research and program evaluation
  • Ethical practice and professional orientation

You will also need practicum, internship, or other supervised experience as part of your educational program.

If your program was not CACREP- or CORE-accredited, you will need to fill out a transcript evaluation worksheet when you apply. Find the transcript evaluation form as well as the application forms Here

You may complete post-degree coursework if your graduate degree did not meet all the requirements.

Learn more about selecting a Master's in Counseling program here.

Supervised Experience

You will need 3,000 hours of supervised work experience. During this time, you must receive100 hours of individual or triadic supervision. Supervision is to be uniformly distributed over an 18- to 36-month period.

Normally, supervised experience is accrued post-master. If you got your provisional license before January 2, 2011, you may receive credit for supervised experience you did as part of your educational program.

You will work under a supervision agreement while completing requirements. Your licensed may be issued without the agreement, but you will need to have it in place before you begin providing clinical services.

At the end of the supervision period, your supervisor will fill out a verification and evaluation form ( S/he will rate your performance in several areas and make a recommendation to the board. The board will send the form directly to your supervisor, and s/he will return it.

You will continue to work under supervision until your professional license has been granted.


You may opt for any of three licensing exams: the National Counselor Examination (NCE), the National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination (NCMHCE,) or the national certification examination administered by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC).

Both the NCE and NCMHCE are offered by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC). The NCE is a general licensing and certification exam for professional counselors. You may take the NCE before graduation if you attend a CACREP-accredited school and are pursuing national certification (See: Otherwise, will you apply after your master’s degree has been conferred.

NCMHCE Exam for Mental Health Counselors

The NCMHCE is designed especially for mental health counselors. Wyoming uses the pencil and paper version of the NBCC licensing exams ( You should contact the state board for registration information. The NBCC lists the following contact information for Wyoming:

Contact Person: Ms. Veronica Skoranski
1800 Carey Ave 4th Flr
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82002
Telephone: (307) 777-3628
Email: [email protected]

You may email [email protected] with questions about the testing process or with difficulties that you encounter along the way.

CRCC Exam for Rehabilitation Counselors

The CRCC exam is designed for rehabilitation counselors, but there are multiple eligibility categories (See: Eligibility Requirements). The exam is currently given in March, July, and October application deadline is approximately five months in advance. You have your choice of testing sites – the exam is administered at over 300 centers across the United States and Canada.

Score verification must be sent directly from the testing agency.

You are allowed up to three examination attempts. (A fourth attempt is sometimes allowed if a candidate has a remediation plan.)

The Application Process

You will download a different application packet depending on which stage of your career you're in. Click Here to find all the application forms you will need as well as additional materials. There is one packet for provisional status and one for converting from provisional to professional status. There is also one for counselors seeking licensure by reciprocity.

You will need a professional disclosure statement at all stages of practice.

You will also need to document that you are lawfully present in the United States.

Supplemental materials are to be sent directly from the individual or institution. Some forms may be emailed, faxed, or mailed.

At first application, you will need three professional references.

Checks should be made out to “State of Wyoming". Your fee will be dependent on the type of licensing you seek and the pathway you are using.

You will pay $200 when converting from provisional status (See the Provisional Packet PDF). At this point, you will revise your disclosure statement and return your provisional ID (or provide an explanation if you are unable to do so).

Out of State Applicants

You may be licensed by reciprocity if you hold a license in another state that has substantially similar requirements. Make sure to download the correct application packet (See: Reciprocity Packet PDF).

As part of the application process, you will need to submit a license verification to any board or agency where you have held licensing. You will fill out the top portion and send it to your agency body. (You will need to contact your board in advance, or check their website, to see what fee will be required for this service.)

The fee for reciprocal licensing is $300.

Other Professionals who can be Licensed as Counselors

In Wyoming, mental health and rehabilitation counselors hold the same licensing.

Art therapists may be licensed, provided they meet all requirements, including the educational requirements. (This is not a mandate, but may be an option, the American Art Therapy Association reports.)

License Maintenance

You will need to renew your Wyoming counseling license every two years; the expiration date is your birthday. You will need to complete 45 hours of continuing education during the renewal period. At least three of your CE hours must be in professional ethics.

You will provide information about your continuing education on the renewal form. You must retain additional documentation in case of audit.

Additional Information

If you are still in High School, hold a High School Diploma/GED, or hold a bachelor's degree, check out suggested steps to take along the path to becoming a counselor in Wyoming.

You may contact the Wyoming Mental Health Professions Licensing Board by emailing [email protected] or faxing (307) 777-3508.

The licensing specialist is Emily Cronbaugh and can be reached at (307) 777-3628.

For additional professional resources and guidance, you may join the Wyoming Counseling Association (

Sponsored Schools