How to Become a Rehabilitation Counselor in Nevada

Rehabilitation counselors work with individuals facing physical, mental, developmental, and/or emotional disabilities. Counselors help clients manage and overcome social, personal, and psychological effects, and they help individuals work toward greater independence. Due in part to the growing elderly population, the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects the number of rehabilitation counselor positions to increase 13% from 2016-2026 — a rate faster than the national average for all occupations

In Nevada, rehabilitation counselors often obtain a clinical professional counselor (CPC) license. Aspiring counselors can also pursue the certified rehabilitation counselor (CRC) credential through a third party, rather than through through the state of Nevada. Regardless of their their pathway, applicants for certification or licensure must meet higher education, supervised experience, and examination requirements. This guide explores certification and licensure requirements, procedures, maintenance, and renewal for Nevada rehabilitation counselors.

Counseling License and Career Requirements in Nevada

Explore more pathways to becoming a counselor in Nevada here

Education and Experience Requirements

Whether seeking licensure through the state or a third-party commission, CPC and CRC candidates must fulfill requirements relating to education and experience. This section reviews these requirements and compares CPC and CRC pathways.

Education and Coursework for CPCs

Individuals exploring how to become a rehabilitation counselor in Nevada should ensure they meet education requirements. Candidates for state CPC licensure must hold an undergraduate degree in any field.

CPC candidates must also hold a master's degree from a mental health counseling or community counseling program approved by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). Master's programs without accreditation from CACREP must include a supervised mental health counseling practicum or internship. Ideal graduate programs cover certain content areas, including:

  • Human growth and development
  • Theories, techniques, and practice of individual and group counseling
  • Diagnosis and assessment
  • Ethics and professional studies

Education and Coursework for CRCs

CRC candidates pursue their credential from the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC), rather than from the state of Nevada. CRC candidates must hold an undergraduate degree in any field and a master's or doctorate in an acceptable field of study. Graduate programs should emphasize rehabilitation, counseling, disability, therapy, health, employment, wellness, and/or human development. Candidates must have completed coursework in several content areas, including:

  • Medical and psychosocial aspects of disabilities
  • Career development theory, job development, and placement techniques
  • Case management and community partnerships
  • Theories and techniques of counseling
  • Research, methodology, and performance management

Current graduate students can sit for the CRC examination if they meet internship and/or coursework eligibility requirements and plan to graduate within 12 months of passing the exam.

Interested in pursuing an education in school counseling? Check out the following pages to explore available academic programs by level:

Practicum and Internship

Nevada counseling candidates must have at least two years of supervised experience to qualify for CPC licensure. The state requires candidates to have completed 3,000 hours of supervised counseling experience, including 1,500 contact hours with clients.

CRC candidates must complete a supervised practicum comprising 100 hours, including 40 client contact hours, as well as a supervised internship consisting of 600 hours, including 240 client contact hours.

Application and Exam Requirements for Nevada Rehabilitation Counselors

After completing education requirements and devoting additional time to gaining supervised experience, aspiring rehabilitation counselors must fulfill examination and application requirements before receiving certification or licensure. These requirements vary slightly depending on the credential.

Examinations and Applications for CPCs

The Nevada State Board of Examiners for Marriage and Family Therapists & Clinical Professional Counselors confers CPC licensure. Upon completing education and experience requirements, CPC candidates must pass the National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination, administered by the National Board for Certified Counselors. The exam consists of 10 clinical mental health counseling cases.

Licensure candidates must also complete an interview with the board, submit an application, and undergo a background check. The application fee for CPC candidates is $75.

Examinations and Applications for CRCs

CRCC offers the CRC credential. The required certification exam comprises 175 multiple-choice questions concerning laws, public regulations, and delivery systems for rehabilitation services. Before receiving approval to sit for the exam, candidates must submit an application; official college transcripts; and any additional forms regarding student status, employment, supervision, internships, etc. The application fee for CRC candidates is $410.

Out-of-state Rehabilitation Counselor Candidates

Out-of-state rehabilitation counselors who want to become licensed CPCs in Nevada must meet the same education and experience requirements as other candidates. Out-of-state counselors must also supply a completed application, a copy of their current state license, an official licensing examination score, and forms verifying licensure and experience. Exam scores and verification forms must be mailed directly to the board from the examining agency, licensing agency, and supervisor or employer.

Because CRC certification is a national credential, out-of-state professionals with a current CRC credential can pursue careers in Nevada without fulfilling any additional steps.

Rehabilitation Counselor License Maintenance and Renewal Requirements

Nevada CPC licenses expire each year on January 1. To renew their license, counselors must submit a completed renewal application, a continuing education reporting form, and a renewal fee of $150. Candidates for renewal must have completed at least 20 hours of continuing education during the previous year, three of which must pertain to ethics issues.

Nevada CPC licenses expire each year on January 1

CRC certifications expire every five years. To renew this credential, candidates must complete a renewal application through the CRCC online portal. Professionals can qualify for renewal through re-examination or through continuing education. The continuing education option requires 100 clock hours, 10 of which must pertain to ethics issues. The renewal fee for re-examination is $605, compared to $405 for the continuing education option.

Resources and Organizations for Rehabilitation Counselors in Nevada

Whether planning to pursue state licensure or CRCC certification, all rehabilitation counseling students can take advantage of online networking, career planning, and continuing education opportunities. The list below includes professional associations and research websites for rehabilitation counseling students and professionals.

  • American Counseling Association ACA supports and represents professional counselors in various practice settings, including rehabilitation. Members receive access to continuing education opportunities, industry publications, networking events, and a comprehensive online career center.
  • American Rehabilitation Counseling Association ARCA works to increase public awareness about rehabilitation counseling and to encourage professional excellence in the field. Member benefits include an online peer network, research collaboration opportunities, and workshops and training.
  • Association of VA Vocational Rehabilitation Professionals The AVAVRP focuses on the professional development of vocational rehab counselors who work with veterans. Members can access benefits including professional networking opportunities, support and advocacy, and career consultation.
  • International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals IARP connects, educates, and supports rehabilitation professionals around the world. This membership association offers benefits including professional development courses, national conferences, online discussion groups, and peer-reviewed journals.
  • National Association of Multicultural Rehabilitation Concerns NAMRC promotes the development of multicultural rehabilitation professionals and advocates for the needs of multicultural persons with disabilities. Members receive growth and development opportunities, mentorship, and discounted annual conference registration.
  • The National Council on Rehabilitation Education NCRE advocates for continual training and education in the field. The council represents a diverse membership of rehabilitation educators, rehabilitation counselors, students, and researchers. Members gain access to online forums, file sharing, and a journal.
  • National Rehabilitation Association NRA advocates for improved services for disabled persons and promotes high-quality, ethical practice in the rehabilitation profession. The association offers state chapter memberships and divisional memberships for specialized professionals.
  • National Rehabilitation Information Center NARIC is the online library of the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research. Disabled persons and rehabilitation students and professionals can search thousands of resources, including abstracts, full-text documents, and publications.
  • Rehabilitation Counselors and Educators Association As the largest division of NRA, RCEA unites rehabilitation counselors and educators for networking, collaboration, and research. Members receive benefits including professional development, training, and access to a peer-reviewed journal.
  • Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services This U.S. Department of Education program promotes societal integration and participation of disabled people. Through the program's website, rehabilitation professionals and students can access resources like funding opportunities and legislation information.

Explore More Pathways to Becoming a Counselor in Nevada

Learn How to Become a School Counselor in Nevada Learn How to Become a Substance Abuse Counselor in Nevada
FIND A PROGRAM is an advertising-supported site. Clicking in this box will show you programs related to your search from schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other information published on this site.