Rehabilitation Counselor Requirements in Kansas: What you need to do to become a Rehabilitation Counselor in Kansas

A Kansas rehabilitation counselor may meet the work qualifications of specific state agencies and/ or meet requirements for licensure as a professional counselor. The Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board issues licenses at multiple levels, including Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC). Statute also governs employment in some agency-based settings.

Select a Kansas Rehabilitation Counselor Topic:

Rehabilitation Counselor Education Requirements

Educational standards are slightly different for different credentials. However, they may be met be a single program.

LPC: To be licensed as an LPC, a person needs a total of at least 60 graduate semester hours of coursework. He or she must earn a master’s degree. However, it is not necessary that all coursework be included in the original degree.

The program of study must include at least 45 semester hours distributed in Board-mandated areas:

  • Helping relationships
  • Counseling theory and practice
  • Human growth and development
  • Group dynamics, processes, and counseling
  • Lifestyle foundations and career development
  • Appraisal of individuals
  • Social and cultural foundations
  • Research and evaluation
  • Professional orientation
  • Supervised practical experience

All examination candidates must document the above coursework, regardless of program accreditation. Educational requirements are described in-depth in Regulation 102-3-3a.

LCPC: In order to qualify for licensure as an LCPC, an individual must meet requirements at the LPC level and, additionally, must document at least 15 hours of coursework that support the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders. Some counseling courses required at the LPC level may be simultaneously credited toward this requirement. There should, however, be the equivalent of two discrete semester hours in psychopathology and assessment; this coursework is to incorporate use of the DSM ( Ethics is also to comprise at least two semester hours.

Kansas Workman's Compensation/ Vocational Rehabilitation: A professional can be hired as a vocational rehabilitation counselor on the strength of a master's degree in rehabilitation counseling ( A professional with a qualifying master's degree in a field related to rehabilitation counseling (for example, counseling or clinical social work) can achieve this designation though a year of work experience or an internship completed through an accredited rehabilitation counseling program.

Hiring agents may accept, in place of a master's in rehabilitation counseling, 32 hours of coursework taken through an accredited program. Coursework must address at least nine of eleven identified areas:

  • Medical aspects of disability
  • Psychological aspects of disability
  • Counseling theories
  • Individual and group appraisal
  • Career information service
  • Rehabilitation evaluation techniques
  • Placement process
  • Case management
  • Utilization of community resources
  • Rehabilitation survey
  • Rehabilitation practicum

Prospective students may search for accredited rehabilitation counseling programs on the site of the CACREP/CORE (

"Specialist' is a lower designation that individuals may be employed under.

Examination Requirements

Kansas requires examination at both the LPC and LCPC levels. The National Counselor Examination (NCE) is taken at the LPC level. The National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination (NCMHCE) is taken at the LCPC level. Both examinations are under the banner of the National Board for Certified Counselors. Kansas candidates are directed to wait to submit registration until they have received eligibility letters; these are supplied by the state licensing agency upon application. Candidates will include a $195 fee when submitting their registration materials to the NBCC. It may take four weeks to receive an Authorization to Test. The ATT is valid for six months; examinations are offered during monthly testing windows. Upcoming examinations and other information can be accessed through the Kansas page of the NBCC website (

Some applicants may have previously taken the qualifying examination, for example, as part of a graduate counseling program.

NBCC examinations are not specific to the rehabilitation counseling discipline. Some candidates may wish to take an additional examination in order to earn national certification as rehabilitation counselors. The Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) credential is awarded by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (

Experience/Supervision Requirements

In order to achieve the LCPC license, an individual must work under supervision for at least two years and accrue no fewer than 1,500 direct psychotherapy/ assessment hours and no fewer than 4,000 total experience hours.

The counselor will work toward the higher license while credentialed as an LPC. In order to credit hours, a person must have a training plan on file. If changes are required, the counselor will need to submit them in writing.

The supervisee will need at least two supervision sessions per month. Generally, the clinical supervisor is to be an experienced LCPC, but the licensing agency may consider supervision by another experienced, licensed professional when an LCPC is not available to supervise.

The licensing agency will consider experienced earned in another state, provided it meets Kansas standards (

The License Application Process

Application forms are available on the Board website (

Transcripts are to be sent directly from the issuing university. The applicant will also fill out a worksheet indicating which courses met which content area requirements. In cases where the title does not indicate the category, the applicant is asked to submit a syllabus and course catalog description.

The applicant will also need three completed reference forms. One should come from the practicum/ internship supervisor.

There is a $100 application fee due with applications at either the LPC or LCPC level.

Out-of-State Counselors

License applicants who hold, or have held, licensing in other states are asked to submit clearance forms.

The Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board extends license by reciprocity to out-of-state licensees in two instances: 1) when the state of licensure has requirements at least substantially equivalent to those of Kansas or 2) when the counselor has been licensed and practicing for at least five years and meets other minimum standards set by the Board. To be licensed on the basis of active practice, a counselor must have a master's degree. To be licensed on the basis of active practice at the LCPC level, the counselor must have three years of clinical experience; this is to include treating and diagnosing mental disorders.

Additional Information

The Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board can be reached at (785) 296-3240. Questions may be sent via email contact form (

The Kansas Counseling Association is an additional professional resource (

Sponsored Schools